Playing with the .NET Jigsaw - So what can this thing do?
Make sure you check out the Vistual Studio express range of tools from microsoft, If you are starting out in ASP.Net then make sure you have a copy of Visual Web Developer Express Edition and remember its free!
Great set of controls here, most of them seem to be free be sure to take a look.
Prevent Session Timeout in ASP.net
I was reading a very interesting article on CP that demonstrates how to prevent session timeout's within ASP.net, which most of you know would be handy on certain pages, for example a item creation page where there is a form that needs filling out. But with all this being said there are some important security issues that need to be thought about, maybe I should create an article about these issues......
Anyway here is the link to the article: www.codeproject.com/aspnet/Reconnect.asp
ASP.net Cheat Sheets - Life Cycles Events
I was hunting a round a few sites the other day and found these very interesting 'cheat sheets' that outline in detail the event life cycle on an ASP.net 2.0 web page. The 'cheat sheets' are created by John Sheehan and seem to be very popular! Take a look for yourself, at the pdf.!
Changing the Password Complexity in ASP.NET 2.0
I was recently inplementing a admin funtionality into a site and wanted to control the builtin ASP.NET login complexity as I didn't want my users (internal staff members) to be trying to remember passwords that consisted of 1 upper case, 1 digit and at least 7 characters in length.
I did a google search and found this very useful article. The article which is located here and is written by Scott Forsyth (I'd recommend his blog by the way). Scott explains the method to administrate the 'AspNetSqlMembershipProvider' settings via the web.config.
This article at MSDN details the atrributes that are available for the 'AspNetSqlMembershipProvider', but the 2 main attributes that I was interested in are the
By changing the values within the web.config I was able to achieve my goal
A framework for quickly creating a new generation of more efficient, more interactive and highly-personalized Web experiences.
You can read more and download on www.asp.net/ajax
C# 3.0: An Introduction
Granville Barnett has posted and excellent article on dotnetslackers.com about the introduction of C# 3.0
The article is based on outlining some of the core functions of the 3.0 framework.
The article can be found here: dotnetslackers.com/articles/csharp/Csharp_3_0_An_Introduction.aspx
Microsoft Releases SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2
The SQLServerBlog today posted that Microsoft have released Service Pack 2 (SP2) for download. SQLServerBlog outlines the following as some of the key enhancements to SQL server SP2:
• Data Mining Add-ins for the 2007 Microsoft Office system enable data mining functionality from SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS) to be used directly within Excel® 2007 and Visio® 2007.
• SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) compatibility with Microsoft Office SharePoint® Server 2007 provides integration with the Report Center in SharePoint, enabling the seamless consumption and management of SSRS reports within SharePoint.
• SQL Server Analysis Services improvements for Excel 2007 and Excel Services relate to performance and functionality.
• Data compression (varDecimal) is an important feature for data warehousing scenarios, requiring less disk storage of decimal data and increasing overall performance.
• Manageability enhancements, based on customer feedback, provide management capabilities for database administrators such as improvements in database maintenance plans, enhanced management reports and a new copy database wizard.
• Management reports added to SQL Server Express Edition enable customers to get insights into the performance of their Express Edition and SQL Server Compact Edition databases.
• Interoperability improvements including Oracle support in the Report Builder feature enable customers to use its functionality on top of Oracle data sources. Customers also have access to SQL Server Reporting Services to build reports on top of Hyperion’s Essbase cubes.
SP2 can be downloaded from Microsoft here www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/downloads/servicepacks/sp2.mspx
For more SQL Info, Please read my SQL Notes page
You are browsing the web with
If you see .NET CLR (which refers to the .NET Common Language Runtime) in the above description of your web browser, then you have .NET installed. Some browsers, such as Netscape, don't properly report .NET. If you are using one of these browsers, it may be installed however you must follow this procedure to find out.
From your Windows Start menu, choose Control Panel and then choose Add or Remove Programs. A list of programs installed on your computer will appear. Look through it for an entry entitled Microsoft .NET Framework. If that entry is there, you have the framework installed.
On my machine I have
Note: There are several updates to the .NET framework which include important fixes. Currently these are not included in the base install of .NET. Find out more from Microsoft's Windows Update Page or MSDN .NET Page.